Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Nursery DIY

In a dream world somewhere I'm not exhausted, I don't have an uncontrollable urge to nest and clean everything, and I'm not enrolled in two grad classes. Also in that dream world I can make the millions of things I've pinned on Pinterest for Lyla's nursery. Unfortunately, I've only gotten around to one DIY project which is what I'm posting about today! :)

You have probably seen this project on Pinterest- cardboard letters wrapped in yarn. I think these are just  precious so about ooooooooh 3 monthes ago I purchased the letters from hobby lobby with good intentions... there is a saying about good intentions... Haha.

Here is what you'll need: Glue gun, glue sticks, band-aides for when you burn yourself repeatedly with the glue gun, yarn (I wanted a thick yarn so I used a wool yarn from hobby lobby), cardboard letters (from hobby lobby), and patience.

First, the project was not too pricey. The letters were $2.47 but the yarn was $7- $8 a bundle because I was being picky and wanted nice thick yarn. :)



Next, you have to decide which direction you are going to wrap your yarn in order to cover the ends and the top... The A was SO hard. I won't lie. This is where the band-aide's come in handy.


I started off using lots of glue but if you have an easy letter like this L then you don't need as much because just wrapping the yarn will keep it in place. For this letter I wrapped vertically (you can see that in this picture) first then went back and wrapped horizontally to over the sides of the letter. 


When you're all done, you'll have something like this: (I'm replacing that flower... just an experiment that didn't work out.) :) YAY~


All this yarn wrapping took it right out of Olivia...


I hope everyone is having a good summer!

- Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Lyla yarn letters are so cute!! Just love it annnnd Olivia! :)

    ReplyDelete