
Anyway, we had to pull up the carpet in the bedroom because she teteed and it smelt really bad. We wanted to put down wood floors with the money we got from our tax return... ha. Turns out we owe money. (Side note: if and when you get married, choose zero on your W-2... FOR THE LOVE put ZERO!)
Soooooo. We looked at all of our options and decided that staining the cement floor would be the best (cheapest and best smelling) option. So that's what we did.
HOLY COW it was NOT as easy as it sounds. We're not even finished! We ran out of accent color. We are waiting on the rest to be mailed to us. But we are almost there! I haven't blogged in a while so I wanted to let y'all know how it's going so far!
Here we are in the beginning... please note ALL the paint on the floor and around the edges of the walls. This paint is the bane of my existence.
Then we opened this kit we got to help us stain the floor. This is a awesome kit! Other than the
fact that it didn't include all the materials we needed... like a mop, buckets, quick-crete, paint remover... etc. Needless to say, there were many trips to home depot that weekend. :) Here's the kit:

In this kit, the directions say to etch the floor with this solution first... ya. NO. We should have taken the paint off first then etched the floor. After we wasted all the etching solution and not getting any of the paint off... we had to go to Home Depot... again and get this paint remover.

The house smelt like gasoline and oranges for a few days, but it worked! I had to scrape all of the paint off... with a paint scraper and an SOS pad. Gah... took forever, but most of it came off! Here is what it looks like on the floor!
After all the paint was up, then we (when I say we, I mean Cade because he wouldn't let me use the sprayer thing!) sprayed the base paint with a bug sprayer... it came it the kit!

Here is the base coat close up. :) Kinda orangey... being aggies we started to panic... but it ended up okay.

After the base coat dried for a few hours, we sprayed on the accent coat with walnut stain... a dark brown. It also was included in the kit. Here is a picture with the walnut on one side of the based stained floor and the other hasn't gotten the stain yet. :) Cool huh!
Here it is with both the base and accent right after we sprayed it.
Here it is after it had dried a little. Sorry for the glare! It was still wet and I couldn't get to the window!!

And that's where we are at this point... waiting on the rest of the accent color and then we put on the gloss to give the floor the "wet look". :) I wanted to add that this project costed us about $175. Not too bad for a new floor.
Almost done and then we have a new floor! WOOO! I'll post pictures as soon as we're done!
ALSO- spring break is almost hereeeeeeee....eeeeeeeeeekkkkk!

Love it! I can't wait to see it all put together!
ReplyDeleteThe floor is looking great! I am looking forward to seeing it all finished! Good job!
ReplyDelete